Sunday, December 8, 2013

Welcome and Introduction

Hello and welcome to Military Science Fiction World. My name is Lance, and before I launch into things I want to say a little bit about me, and what this blog is all about.

So let’s start with me: I grew up in small town USA, just about as boring as you can get. A few years ago, the Boston Globe ran an article saying that, statistically speaking, my good old hometown is the most average town in the state. Check out the link to the article below:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2011/01/31/statistically_townsend_just_your_average_mass_town/

I now reside in southern Maine and work as an engineer, but like many small town kids before me have claimed, I did lots of reading in my spare time growing up. While I have dabbled in many genres over the years, I was mostly a science fiction and fantasy buff. In more recent years I have been primarily a military science fiction fan, and that is what this is all about.

So what is this blog, what am I trying to do here? I have spent a long time looking for the perfect military science fiction novel. And while I have read many amazing stories over the years, there is usually something that isn’t quite right. Part of that is because I am very detail orientated (some would say picky), and many times I let small things bother me.

Then I had the thought that I probably wouldn’t be able to find the perfect military science fiction novel unless I wrote it myself. I had been dabbling in writing since my freshman year of high school, so why not get serious about it. Unfortunately while I have lots of ideas in my head, getting them down on paper in a manor appropriate for a novel is a talent I lack. I found I was pretty good at writing detailed action sequences, but the storyline, characterization, plot, etc. was lacking.

So what is the next step down from writing your own novels? Why critiquing other people’s work of course. I then had the idea to write down some of my thoughts on various novels, and figured the best way to get them out there would be to start a blog, so here it is.

Now a few words about the nature of my reviews. One of my pet peeves is I don’t like to watch TV shows out of order, and I can’t stand it when someone ruins something for me. With that in mind, I decided to stick to what I thought about a book, and not include any details about the storyline or plot or anything. Basically, I want to give you my impressions on a book so you can have a little more ammo to decide if you would like to read it, all without giving away anything of the storyline. If I do reveal something, it likely is included in the description on the back cover, is revealed right in the beginning of the book, or is inconsequential to the plot.

Anyway, before I launch into my first review, let me just say that; I’m always open to feedback so feel free to comment on anything you read. Bear in mind that everything I write is my own opinion. Everyone is different, and personal preferences vary, so just because I don’t like a novel doesn’t mean you won’t either. Also, if there are any military science fiction novels you would like to see feel free to let me know in the comments. I can’t guarantee I will review it, and I can’t commit to any kind of regular updating schedule, but I will do my best. Though lately with work, my reading time is limited to about half an hour a night before bed. I wish it were otherwise, but such is life. I guess with that I’ll turn things over to my first review, I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment